ARTICLE X: Case of the Year Award
1. The purpose of this award is to permanently recognize the efforts of individuals in the successful prosecution and/or litigation of cases involving advanced technologies.
2. Nomination Process:
A. 90 days prior to the first day of the annual conference the International Secretary, will request nominations from the entire membership for this award. Nominees must meet the following minimum requirements to be accepted:
1. At least one of the participants (investigator, forensic examiner, attorney, etc.) in case must be an HTCIA member.
B. All nominations must be received by the International Secretary within 60 days of the first day of the annual conference to be considered for the award in any given year.
A. The IEC with the assistance of a committee appointed by the International President will review the nominations. The IEC will vote on the nominees. IEC members will abstain from voting in case they were involved in. The case with the most votes will be the award winner. The following is a non-exhaustive list of factors that will be used to evaluate the nominees:
1. The case was regional, national, or International in scope;
2. The case established an important legal precedent;
3. The case involved significant expenditure of resources (manpower, funds and/or technology);
4. The case resolved a particularly violent offense;
5. The case involved a significant dollar loss;
6. New technology or techniques were expended to resolve the case; OR
7. Other objective criteria announced by the International Executive Committee (IEC) at the request of nominations.
B. IEC members will abstain from voting in any case which they were directly involved or in cases where they are related by blood or marriage to any of the nominees.
A. Plaques will be awarded to all individuals designated by the IEC in connection with the Case of the Year award. These individuals will be presented a plaque at the annual HTCIA conference. Plaques can be given to non-HTCIA members who participated in the case as well.
B. The award winner(s)’ name and year of the award will be memorialized in HTCIA records and on HTCIA website.
5. Prior Years Award Winners:
A. Previous year’s winners will be considered to have fulfilled the above requirements without reservation.
B. Previous year’s winners’ names and the year in which they received the award will be memorialized in HTCIA records and on HTCIA website.